If there was a prize for the best title of a book, I vote for this one. Lori Silverman has compiled a juicy feast of over 70 organizations that use story as a tool for organizational development. Drawing on interviews with over 171 public and private sector leaders, this book goes beyond just storytelling to providing five important keys in making story work for you.
1. how to find existing stories in circulation
2. how to dig into them to find patterns
3. how to craft a memorable story
4. how to select the stories that further operational goals; and
5. how to embody the story to postively impact people’s attitudes and behaviors.
An easy read and an entertaining one! Great addition to a beach bag – except in Vancouver where Junuary has struck. I have faith that the sun will eventually return and thank the story gods for a national conference at the end of the month in Toronto. A fun trip with a great topic – keynote will be on storytelling in organizations and workshops on storytelling as a fundraising tool for non-profits. I have my sunscreen already packed!
Wake Me Up When the Data Is Over: How Organizations Use Stories to Drive Results