Annette Simmons is always worth the read. In this book she outlines the various types of stories that craft intentional messages to get your ideas across using universal story structures such as:
- Who-I-Am Stories: people need to know who you are in order to trust you. What types of stories you tell – tell others all they need to know about you. As Maya Angelou wisely said: People tell you who they are when you first meet them. Believe what they show you.
- Teaching Stories: lessons learned from experience.
- Vision Stories: where we are and where we want to go
- Values-In-Action Stories: My favourite type! Not the values that can be easily stated but the values that drive behavior. The walk the talk stories that inspire and motivate.
- I-Know-What-You-Are-Thinking Stories: Valuable trust building surprise stories that share secret suspicions. Another description of this type is the ‘Elephant in the Room’ stories. What needs to be said in order to move forward.
A welcome addition to your story library!
Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact