Peter Guber has had a very interesting career – studio chief at ; co-chairman of and Filmworks; CEO of Entertainment; chairman and CEO of – to name a few. His current occupation includes storyteller and that perhaps is his best gig yet. In Tell to Win, Guber draws upon his extensive experience as a in multiple industries to deliver an easy-to-read and easy-to-follow book on how success is driven by creating a compelling story that moves people to action.
Moving beyond ‘death by powerpoint’, he brings to life the power of story in what he calls the ’emotional transportation business’ and states “if you can’t tell it, you can’t sell it”. Short, sweet and right to the point. If you are looking for a good reference book for the use of storytelling in business to achieve your goals, this is one of the better ones I have found.
Among his techniques:
1. capturing audience attention
2. motivating listeners by demonstrating authenticity
3. building your tell around ‘what’s in it for them’
4. changing passive listeners into active participants; and
5. using state-of-the-art technologies online to make sure audience commitment remains strong.